You can feel your blood pressure rising just at the thought of the holidays. You want to throw yourself back into bed or into a cave where no one can find you, pregnancy announcements can’t reach you and you don’t have to answer awkward questions about the pitter patter of tiny feet.
It’s time for a change
Holidays can mean fun, a break from the norm, gathering together with people that love you and can bring genuine joy to you, even whilst going through infertility.
But it’s all about being prepared and making the right choices for you. It’s also about knowing some little strategies to get you through those tough moments.
In this blog, we’re going to share 5 quick tips to help you not only survive the holiday season but really ‘thrive’ through it. Download our FREE workbook for the full 10 strategies and practical support to help you work through each one. Join Today or Login To Access!
Top 5 ways to enjoy the holiday season whilst TTC
- Say ‘NO’! – Top of the list is your guilt-free pass to saying ‘NO’ to an event, gathering or person that will just cause you too much stress or unhappiness. It’s not easy, so it’s best to plan your response, have back up support in case you need it and have a good solid plan, exit plan or excuse ready. You just have to own that ‘no’! For more on this, tune into our quick podcast all about ‘saying NO’ during infertility.
- Do something completely different – One great way to experience the holidays in a different way is to do something you don’t normally do. This could be big ‘bucket-list’ stuff or just ‘you two enjoying Christmas Day by yourselves’. Just know that you have a choice here, even when it doesn’t seem like it and sometimes you have to choose yourself over others. That is never truer than when you’re under the stress of infertility. It’s not easy, but breaking the routine just for this year doesn’t mean you don’t care – it means you’re putting you and your wellness first
- Have your script ready – Know what you are going to say to those awkward, nosy questions about fertility and family. Having a funny retort or standard response you roll out can be really comforting when you get asked on the spot and your insides are churning!
- Give to others – Whether you devote a few hours to volunteering in a soup kitchen, delivering presents with the salvos or take a moment for a random act of kindness, don’t underestimate how amazing this can be for both the people you help and yourself
- Look after yourself – it’s a tough time of year, so take some time out to take care of yourself, treat yourself or just to take a breath. This is really important. If you’re feeling drained already, any extra holiday stress could tip you over the edge and nobody wants that!
Above all, keep hoping and dreaming of the holidays you have to come when infertility will no longer be a factor in your life. It’s possible and it’s real for you. Just keep that flame of hope burning this holidays as you battle through!
Fertility Coach, Founder of Your Fertility Hub
Karenna Wood is an international fertility coach, founder of Your Fertility Hub and passionate advocate for more emotional support and information for women trying to get pregnant. She’s an expert in mind-body tools and when not blogging, podcasting, coaching or speaking is...fast asleep!