This infertility story is so incredible, it’s almost unbelievable. Shen and her husband battled through recurrent miscarriage to international surrogacy, change of surrogacy laws mid-way through and then miraculously got pregnant naturally, TWICE! Hear it all here
We’ve had many incredible fertility stories featured on the Your Fertility Hub podcast, but I think Shen’s is one of the most courageous stories that demonstrates their willingness to NEVER GIVE UP!
Following the pain of 6 recurrent miscarriages, culminating in a week-long miscarriage where she gave birth to her fetus at home alone – they knew they had to look for another way. Following the miscarriages, international surrogacy with their own egg and sperm seemed the best way forward.
From recurrent miscarriage to international surrogacy
At the time, Thailand was the best option for international surrogacy from Australia and Shen tells of all the ups and downs, crazy running around for medication, flights and timing it all.
When in Thailand after the birth, disaster struck. Another couple decided to only take one of their twins back home, not only leaving their other baby but also a country in complete lockdown over surrogacy. Everything stopped. Shen and her husband were staying in a hotel will dozens of other parents with surrogate babies – all at different stages. As their son was a full genetic child of theirs, they were allowed home with their baby but they were one of the lucky ones.
When thoughts turned to having a sibling, they steeled themselves for the long journey ahead. Unbeknownst to Shen, her husband had been researching options. He didn’t want to go back to the days of recurrent miscarriages, international surrogacy was again the answer and his research led them to Russia.
International surrogacy in Russia
Just as they were collecting together winter clothes to cope with the minus 20-40 degree chill in Russia, Shen’s Mum planted a seed in her mind – what if she could conceive and carry a pregnancy naturally? As they’d never had trouble getting pregnant, Shen quickly conceived but never believed it would hold.
Continually delaying their trip to Russia as the pregnancy progressed, they still never relaxed believed this was possible. Drama ensued at 27 weeks when Shen awoke covered in blood – they feared the worst. Somehow, she managed to hold on to her little boy until 38 weeks.
Even more miraculously, they then went on to have a little girl completely naturally too.
In this interview, Shen opens up about this incredible story of recurrent miscarriages, international surrogacy and how amazing it was to carry and give birth to two children after their earlier ordeals. She shares how she coped and her advice for anyone else out there struggling right now.
Finally, Karenna asks all listeners to join the FREE Fertility Toolbox so they are the first to hear about the upcoming launch of our new ‘Your Fertility Toolbox’ app and how it can support you to find a better way to live through infertility.
In this episode:
- How they battled through 6 recurrent miscarriages before looking at other options
- IVF couldn’t help them
- From recurrent miscarriage to international surrogacy
- International surrogacy options for Australians
- The process of international surrogacy with your genetic child in Thailand
- Coincidences and how the stars aligned for them
- The brutal change of law in Thailand that nearly stopped them bringing their baby home
- Investigating surrogacy in Russia for baby number 2
- The idea that she could carry a pregnancy to term turned into a reality
- How they went on to have 2 natural pregnancies
- Talking to your child about surrogacy
- Advice for anyone going through infertility right now
You may also like:
- Bianca’s strategies for surviving infertility and surrogacy
- International surrogacy options for Australians
- A holistic approach to recurrent miscarriage and pregnancy loss
Links mentioned in the podcast:
- Remembering babies lost through miscarriage
- Gratitude and fertility
- Email Karenna directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your Fertility Toolbox – Free resources, tools and exclusive community for emotional support during infertility –
Connect with us on social media:
Join us on social media for our regular inspiration and information and so much more!
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/yourfertilityhub
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/yourfertilityhub/
For more insight, subscribe to the show for regular episodes and please leave a review on i-tunes so we can share the message and help more women find their way through and out of infertility.
Infertility isn’t a path you have to walk alone.
Your Fertility Toolbox brings you the support & emotional health tools you’ve been searching for.
Tools, Community, & Support to help you not only weather the storm of infertility but THRIVE!
Your Fertility Toolbox is a web-based app and online fertility wellness centre that helps women trying to conceive to endure and overcome the challenges of infertility through community support, coaching, and MIND+BODY tools.