Over the years, I’ve had many women ask me how acupuncture can support their reproductive health.
So, where do I begin! Let’s start with research!
What the research says about acupuncture and fertility
Research studies suggest that acupuncture may help in various areas relating to fertility, conception and pregnancy. Like any area of research, there have been positive and negative studies in both natural and assisted reproduction.
Natural conception randomised trials in China have demonstrated better pregnancy rates, but these studies may not be of a high quality. In the West, clinical trials on acupuncture for natural fertility are almost non-existent, but what research has been done shows a small amount of positive evidence. Most clinical trials to date suggest that acupuncture may be useful in the embryo transfer stage of in-vitro fertilisation (IVF), which results in an increased pregnancy rate and
The exciting part is that all this research has established plausible mechanisms to explain how acupuncture may benefit fertility and infertility issues. In my experience, I’ve found the below to be true.
6 ways acupuncture can improve your chances of getting pregnant
1. Regulates your hormonal cycle by stabilising fertility hormones such as FSH, oestrogen and progesterone levels, which can be disrupted by stress and other factors such as PCOS, etc
2. Increases blood flow to your reproductive organs, hence enhancing the environment in which ovarian follicles develop. Increases blood flow to the uterus, improves the thickness of the endometrial lining which increases chances of embryo implantation.
3. Stimulates ovulation and reduces the number of ovarian cysts in PCOS
4. Increases egg production and improves oocyte quality
5. Helps to reduce stress levels at any stage
6. Helps to improve sperm health
I’ve found that the majority of my fertility patients have felt more relaxed, nurtured and proactive throughout this process, which can be very stressful at times.
BA, BSc (Hons) Acupuncture, Specialist training in Fertility & Obstetrics & Sports Medicine, Reiki Master, EFT, EMDR, Matrix Reimprinting, Emmett therapy, Iridology
Charlotte started working with London’s top fertility clinics, doctors and the Zita West Clinic after graduating from London College of Traditional Acupuncture in 2005. In the UK, she undertook post-graduate training in IVF, infertility, menstrual disorders, gynaecology, male infertility and pregnancy care. Over the years, this has led her to develop an integrative approach with her patients. Charlotte combines acupuncture, nutrition and emotional work as she feels this improves her patient’s overall fertility and emotional health.